Sunday, June 07, 2015

Sprucing up the Lake Front

I started this project on Saturday night, after we watched the Mariners win over Tampa Bay--they didn't win again, but they are still fun to watch. Anyway, after we got home from church, I dinked around a little bit and then decided to go and get INTO the lake to remove the weeds I could. As you can tell, I managed to wade thru moss and whatever the heck these plants are til I finally got to the 'old' lake bed. Just beyond the weeds, from where I am standing, you finally hit rocks and sandy bottom. It is amazing how high the lakes  have gotten over the years. And it is more interesting to note how much lower the lake is this year than last. 
 Obie barked and chased the weeds I threw and had a grand old time. I think both of us old dogs are pretty tired. I have cuts all over my hands and am sort of sore from bending over and pulling these things up.
This is a photo of the weeds I pulled They have roots off of their main stem and a root ball in the mossy bed below. I'll keep an eye on them to see if they get flowers. I kind of want to know what they are! 

 In my cleaning I found what mom and I think might be part of a dock or something from eons past. I set it up straight and liked the look of it. I'll eventually remove it, but for now it adds a bit of rustic appeal to the shoreline.
 Here it is all tidy and clean. I like how a kayak can go thru weeds and brush, but I kind of wanted to see if we could swim in the lake this year. We can, we just need to wade thru the fibrous floor til we get to the rocks beyond. The ducks seem to appreciate the clearing I've made. We had one family basking on the little platform most of the evening. Until an eagle came to visit.
 You can't see him very well, but  when I got my camera all organised, the bird was at the top of the spruce tree on the left. Waiting for a webbed snack. It did dive and there was a whole lotta splashing and water, but it appears he missed. Those mama ducks are pretty fierce about protecting their young. It started in a tree right above the cleared lake area and ended up in a tree rather close to the house, but he was very camouflaged by the branches before it took off for the perch high above the lake. I was very glad no one got eaten this evening. Mum said she  has already buried one duckling carcass after the eagle tore out the heart and chest cavity. Sometimes you forget this magnificent national bird is one of the top birds of prey and a scavenger.

No comments: