Monday, June 22, 2015

Father's Day-Critter Section!


We spent the afternoon of Father's Day at the Gattenby's. On the way, before the bridge over the river, Kenai, I saw my first caribou. The best part was this one (who is molting) who looked up at the person walking past our car as I took a picture!!! And yes, it seems SILLY that I grew up here, lived next to the river for a time, and am only seeing these things for the first time now.
 Their house has a lot of critters!! Many kinds of birds and two black dogs.



 The largest goose is called 'The Old Man' (I believe) and is rather tame.
 When we got back to mom's house, we watched a parent chickadee feed her baby. The baby can fly, but it appears it still needs help eating!
 I took this photo on Saturday. It is a sad picture. The baby golden eye duckling on the pallet has been alone for several days. It got separated from its parent and she won't accept him back. He doesn't have anything wrong with him--he DOES peep rather loudly on occasion--but it appears the little one is surviving. I wish someone else would adopt him, though. I was thankful the mallards ignored him instead of fighting with and/or killing him. I've been calling him 'Pippin'.

No comments: