Sunday, September 04, 2016

Sunday Thoughts

This is a post about me. Kristen. I rarely share something not family orientated or full of photos, but this Sunday struck me in the heart ring. Mom’s church is a grand place. It has always been a welcoming congregation in my life, a place anyone can stop in and feel they belong. For the most part, it is a fluid congregation. People come and go with the seasons, kids grow up and leave (OK, not everyone—thinking of R. Pippin, who has done neither!!), and pastors change as they are called elsewhere. But there is a constant of Christ, which always remains.

I didn’t want to go to church this Sunday. I had a couple of responsibilities, but I felt like I should stay home with mum. I walked in the door and was handed a bulletin by the aforementioned Randall. On the front was a jar and this verse from 2 Corinthians. “We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.” I hummed this tune most of the service!

As the hour started, Pastor Bob lead us in the song, ‘To God be the Glory,’ and I realized this was where I needed to be.
“Great things He has taught us, great things He has done, and great our rejoicing thru Jesus the Son. But purer and higher and greater will be our wonder, our transport, when Jesus we see.”

 Bill followed this with ‘There’s no feeling like this, if that isn’t love.’ He outdid Elvis and I took note of the words. Our responsive reading was from Psalm’s. It was 139 and in a nutshell, these verses tell the reader how God knows. We sang a familiar song, I smiled when I read the title in the bulletin. ‘Have Thine Old Way, Lord.’ His way isn’t new fashioned, it is timeless, and it really is an ‘old’ way. It is His own way to make us and mold us after His will. Following that, I was asked to read the scripture (I love to read aloud!). It was Jeremiah 18:1-11. Words of hope which tell once more how He knows and will shape things accordingly. How He might reconsider (or change) as the clay is formed. If the pot starts out one way and it doesn’t seem to be working, He shapes it into a different vessel.

In the sermon, Janice (jah-neese) talked about what I termed a spiritual Cha-Cha. In my faith I move back and forth on the dance floor of life. Yet, today I remembered, it is a dance. I aim to remain joyful in all my steps and as I watch those around me in their own configurations.  He loves me, and He created and knows me and my mum.

The closing benediction I have always loved. A beautiful simple tune. “Go ye now in peace.” One which, after a google search, is used by many. Words which relax and comfort.

“Go ye now in peace and know that the love of God will guide you.
Feel his presence here beside you, showing you the way.
In your time of trouble when hurt and despair are there to grieve you,
Know that the Lord will never leave you, He will bring you courage.
Know that the God who sent His Son to die that you might live, 
Will never leave you lost and alone in His beloved world.
Go ye now in peace.
Go ye now in peace.
Go ye now in peace.”
Joyce Hellers


Yes, I was thankful to attend church today. 

No comments: