Friday, September 09, 2016

Dedication

The Nikiski Senior Center Flagpole Dedication, on September 9, 2016, had some fun visitors. The Nikiski Fire Dept brought one of their ladder trucks, Mike Chenault spoke, there were members from the police department, the VFW, and Mrs. Bostic's class showed off historical flags and sang God Bless America. 
 When the color guard gave the order to shoot, it surprised some of the youngsters. I don't think they were warned!
 I blocked out the faces on the kids because I didn't have permission to use them in a photo. The red haired girl and the ones on the end sat with me at lunch. One of the other ones was the young lady who asked if I had any 'veterinarians in my family.' They did a fine job at following directions and keeping quiet during the ceremony. I didn't know the tree flag on the very end was one of the USA's first flags.
 Oh Beautiful, for spacious skies......Yup. My Land is the Great Land.
 Three poles, three flags, one country.
 Two of the State Troopers in attendance. It appears mom taught one of the three who were at the Center today.
I wasn't able to get a good photo of the plaque as it was revealed and I forgot to get one later. It stands in front of the three poles and it is gorgeous! 

At the end of the ceremony a HUGE flock of Sandhill Cranes did a flyover in the pristine blue skies above.

 One of the craziest things happened today. I admired a pair of earrings worn by a Senior guest. She proceeded to remove them from her ears and then she GAVE them to me!!!! I was stunned. She told me she made jewelry and giving me a pair was something she wanted to do. (I'm still stunned!) She also gave me her name and number for me to call if I need help with anything. To me, this is what America is. People giving the earrings off their ears to strangers and then extending a hand when it might be needed.
 From the mountains
 To the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam--

God bless America, my home sweet home-

No comments: