Sunday, June 15, 2014

The other side of the cannery--

I grew up with fish. In nets, on fishing lines, or in the canneries, we knew our fish. I actually spent all my time in the egg room instead of being on the line gutting, but I never gave much thought to the boats out in the inlet.  Boats that were tied to the tides and the power of the sea. This weekend the tides are very low and my friends, the Caraway's, were headed across the Inlet. Well, Tim and Kayla were. They were going over with some others and their dog. Kelly was staying back with Titus, for the time being. (this tide photo is from Nikiski--they left from Kasilof)
 The boat they were headed across in is the Ellamar and both of the skiffs were full of stuff for a several week stay  (ok, they'll be back in late August or there abouts).
They left from the Kasilof River and I got to watch them leave from the dock near this cannery. I had a GREAT time! 


 Tim and I chatted a few times via cell phone while he was on the boat and I was on shore. And we waved and I sent hugs across for Kayla and Tim-Kayla showed me she was taking one of the graduation presents I had made for her. It was fun to be so close and yet so very far away from each other.

 While they were loading the Ellamar with the stuff from the skiffs, I got to watch the dock hands move docks around and was impressed with their skill (they really did look like they knew what they were doing!) and their language. It wasn't too bad, it amused me. I can see how people would want to read or see stories about our  Alaskan fisher folk.
 Finally, they were ready to go. The Ellamar was unhooked (that is probably not the proper nautical term) from the buoy she was hitched to and Kayla and Tim waved goodbye!
 This quiet little spot will be hopping in just a short while. The camping area down by the mouth of the Kasilof already has many people set up for the duration and I am told more will be showing up.
It was neat to see fishing from this side of the cannery. I'd like to watch them weigh and unload their catches, but I assure you I would not wear my Sunday dress clothes! I must admit, I did feel a tad odd in my skirt and short sleeved shirt--I was also cold, since I had left my jacket in the car. But, I wouldn't have changed any part of  my afternoon, it was wonderful!


No comments: