Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Making Room for Rabbits

The Dusk is dark and glorious
A star upon her brow;
With sunset blushes in her cheeks,
She beckons now.
~Robert Loveman, c. 1901

I love this picture of Moses. I'm not sure if he's baiting the birds or a part of a crime scene!!! 

December 4 was a super busy day. Jon had discovered a woman wanting to get rid of a mixed Chinchilla pair in Pendleton. He was working that Friday and planned on going into town that night to get them. Steve was home and helped me move one of my lasagna gardens since it was in the way of the rabbits. I'd known it was going to need moved, it was the timeline that was vague. So, with rabbits arriving, it was now on the immediate agenda! 

I am a huge fan of a lasagna garden. It is so easy to build a garden in layers and add to it over the seasons. It took less than a couple of hours to build and plant it and a bit longer to tear it down, move it, and replant it. Part of the longer moving time was how slow this lasagna gardener was moving. Not just because of aching, but because I was positive there were tulips in this bed and I didn't find many of the bulbs! I did find some broken places in the bottom later of chicken wire. Most lasagna gardens don't have a first layer of wire, but the rodents seem to adore tulips and since they just go around the daffodil and other toxic bulbs, I wanted an extra layer of protection for the tulips. It didn't seem to work!!! The dirt was carefully piled up on a tarp with the top frozen layer set aside and the bulbs in another pile. Steve removed the wooden square and took it to a new location and later helped haul the dirt over. I was very impressed with the ease of moving the garden. I've previously only moved parts of one and not an entire garden. 

Steve also put up another tree that afternoon. This year he fixed the lights and added color to the plywood shape and hot glued on Christmas ball halves. 

Then, we left for Pendleton to get the two rabbits. 


 

No comments: