Wednesday, November 26, 2008

T minus Two..or all that is sticky is not secure!

Ages past our eldest took a trip to Hawaii with the THS band. I asked him for a pair of earrings. Well, when he came home he handed me a giant fan! I was very thankful there was only one, I couldn't imagine wearing them as earrings..although, I have been known to use unusual things as danglers....

Anyway, in this new house we have the space to hang the thing. I wanted to have it hung before he came home. So, I tried. I went to a website and it shared how easy it was to hang the things. Another Q and A site had a suggester who suggested duck tape. I had some little sticky tiles that were supposed to be used with some cork squares I had purchased (they were packaged together). So, I was ready. NOT!

The little sticky tiles I was pretty sure would not work. Heck, they didn't even work for the cork! (The bullet board I had made and the comic board I put up in the bathroom both were made of cork..I used adhesive spray to hold those on.) I tried anyway, and it didn't. Well, the site for oriental fans (mine was from Hawaii, but I figured they were the same idea) said to use double sided sticky tape you could pick up in any discount store. OK we are in Athena and from Tillamook. My double sided sticky tape had been very expensive and I had used it for photos. After a bit of wishy washy-ness, I used some. It did not work at all...I had forgotten, it was removable. So, I then graduated to the duck tape. I did 'strengthen' the tape with little thumbtacks inside every roll. It looked pretty good. The fan site also suggested if it might need more support, to put a picture hook under the last rib of the fan. My picture hook did not work, so I used a hook thing I had around. I was pleased, but nervous, so laid all kinds of thick cloth under the thing, in case it fell.
This morning I found this:

The fan was hanging from the little hook! Note, the removable tape DID stick to the wall..but not the fan. Nothing stuck to the fan!
So, I then went out and bought some of that really sticky stuff..

I made tons of little x's on the back of the fan and peeled off all the backing on the tape and with Jon's help securely mounted it to the wall...it is off center, but it is really stuck. I tried to move it and heard the cracking of bamboo..Jon said it has character and fits the house. So, now my fan is hung for the first time! Or the second!!!!! One problem might have been the shape of the ceiling, it is at a slant.

As for the Eyrie, Steve is working on the doors still. Saloon doors are not all Hollywood! And the eagle is up. The words on the papers are from Isaiah 40. And the sheets I bought for his bed (I had to get new sheets. I couldn't find anything but Bambi, Holly Hobbie, and flowers. LOL. sorry, no photo.) were silly. Beds must be smaller in Pakistan where the sheets were made. They were very soft, but didn't fit at all! Not even close! The top sheet was more of a table cloth than a sheet!

Reading new Handyman that came yesterday!!

No comments: