Monday, June 05, 2017

Muck, muck, ewwwwww

Or how I spent my Sunday evening! After dinner, I decided to tackle this lake project.(I never remember to take before photos, so you will get that one 3rd in the line up.) I wanted to make a less mucky, less murky, less frustrating spot to launch and land the kayak. I hauled pitchfork, shovel, and sharp yard edging thingy down to the lake and discovered the best tool were the ones God gave me. I pulled the unwanted stuff by hand. I started about 7 and by 8pm I had gotten this far. 

 (This photo is from BEFORE when the kayak was 'parked' in the muck. You can see some water grass I was using as a marker. It is on the left as you look at the photo)
Me in the lake! 
Pulling roots from their berth among the rocks I remember we used to have as a lake bottom....

Lots of handfuls of organic material. Mum's dog had great fun chasing the blobs as I tossed them on shore. Mum wasn't as impressed since Obi got super wet! I did use a glove, next time I'll use two! (I had a sore finger and didn't want lake goo in the injury) My ungloved hand has much shorter nails now!!
These are photos of the section I cleared out--I think this was around 10 pm.
 You can see, I still need to do a lot of work. The little harbor is kind of a catch spot now for debris. Actually, our side of the lake appears to get debris. A lot of partially burned wood bits are under the roots of the water plants. I have not yet run into any nails, thank goodness!!! Anyway, I need to round out the shape of the grasses on the right and rid the area of more on the left. There are many really stuck fast roots under the water. They are kind of like grassy reefs now and I need to get rid of them. If I can move next week!!! I'm pretty sore from my fingers to my toes!  The baby ducklings had fun bobbing in this tiny harbor. I must have stirred up a great deal of stuff as I pulled roots.
I was going to end with a sunset, but didn't wait around long enough. This was at 1030 pm on June 4. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, so I sprinkled a bunch of wildflower seeds all over near the tires on the edge of the drive. If it rains, I don't have to water them!! 
 I cast seeds last fall, too. I am not sure where they went......


No comments: