Monday, October 24, 2016

Pumpkin without Spice!

As mentioned in the FB album and on my blessing blog, this was a pretty good year for Steve's punkins. We managed to get rid of most of them. Last year, they were wasted. I was very glad that didn't happen this fall. I hate tossing away a harvest. 
  We haven't carved pumpkins in a couple of years, so it was good to dust off the tools and creativity.
 Jon, as usual, opted for a bigger knife to use on his pumpkin of choice. (think this is one a friend found in his yard and passed on to Jon-who proceeded to clean it up and make like new.)

 He decided to try for sharp teeth this year. He was reminded how certain shapes are more difficult than others! (he used a smaller knife for the teeth)
 I chose a pattern off the internet. I started out firmly convinced I was going to make a ladybug, which is why I went online to see how to do it. I ended up thinking of Toni and Tony and went Disney.
 I found a simple cat pattern that Steve carved on his second pumpkin. He always comes up with fun creations and doesn't often use patterns. It turned out the very best!
 Things to remember when carving pumpkins. 1-they are messy. 2-they are VERY messy and the different stages of growth help create mess. The orange ones were less slimy and had better seeds. The green ones were kind of in the gicky stage. 3-the thicker the shell, the harder it is to make intricate designs. Which is why I glued shiny dots to the cat's face instead of trying to find a really long thin nail to poke holes with. (the nail I used for a couple of the whisker holes kind of 'broke' the pumpkin. Not kind of, it did break!)

 The one below turned out pretty cute, though! (this was mine!)

The seeds I will dry to send to mom for the birds. Every time I cook them for human consumption, only about a cup are eaten. The rest sit around for months til they get tossed. So, the birds will get them this year! 
 I wanted to make a ribbon pumpkin. Breast cancer is such a huge part of my world. Unfortunately, I didn't go online to see how to do this one! I should have. I'll know better next year! The shape was easy. Carving it was not.

 So, I used quilting pins and paint. (I was going to use paint anyway, but it sort of was more necessary than I thought it would be!)

 It used to be all dark inside
when growing on the vine,

but now it has a toothy smile

and face that's full of shine.
  Aileen Fisher- Pumpkin Head

No comments: