Tuesday, August 09, 2016

The sun came out!

The sun finally came out and graced North Kenai with a bit of warmth. We also had a spot of wind, so the warm didn't last long. However, it was long enough to get outside and do a few things. I was slightly amused at how effective weed barrier is. Those are sturdy grass shoots showing up after several days of rain. 
 I covered the weed barrier and grass with rocks and cement things I made. They are not pretty, they are useful and can be left outside. I know, pretty can also be useful. Yet, I was not in a super creative frame of mind! It was hot and sunny and I needed some cement stones! It was funny, it commenced raining the evening they were poured and only stopped today! The two below were poured into a flat of cardboard. I added a few pretty rocks. I wanted to use more, but mom was sleeping and I didn't want to bother her to ask if I could snag some.
 Mom wanted to use this piece of broken crockery in a heart. It wasn't easy as my cement was too goopy. The slice of the bowl or cup kept slipping into the slurry!
 The butterfly was an experiment. I had some stones I tossed in before adding the cement. It is much easier to add the decor AFTER the cement. I was pretty sure of this, but wanted to be positive. The stones were swallowed up and lost in the grey goo.
 This one I made was odd. The pieces of blue glass were from an ornament mom had. It broke during the Jan earthquake and she wanted to use the bits in a stone. The dolphin was super hard to place as the slurry was wrong and there was a large broken glass piece under one fin. I had to put it sideways.
 The very last of the cement went into this stone. I didn't have enough, so it isn't as thick as I'd like, but it is a good  step for in front of the very old greenhouse.
 Once I had placed stones and added rocks to the front bed by the hose, I started moving BIG rocks. It was sort of a track and field Egbert Olympics. Here, I am choosing a rock to use for the shot put.
 There is a pretty good sized pile of stones under this tree. A great place to have them land after throwing! The earth is nice and soft and they settle right into the ground. Or bounce off other rocks! It may become a covenant to not ever needing a new septic system again.....maybe.
 Next was the javelin or maybe the high jump! I was taking pieces of trees from the drive and area which had been dug up. Leaving wood to rot in the earth can cause sinkholes. I found this two foot bit of wood and started digging it up. The top of the tree is visible--I broke it! But, the bottom is still under the dirt. It had tiny roots off the trunk, so I think what I'll do is chop it off at the base (if I can find it) and let it grow.
 Me, lifting up the springy wooden trunk to see if I could break the end. The trunk won...for now!

No comments: