Sunday, August 14, 2016

Of Moose and Mallards

I was really hoping this wasn't the best moose photo I'd get this  year-She was posed nicely and an ATV full of dogs drove past (really, the back of the rig had a St. Bernard and two goldens in it!!). Their barking scared her off. 
 I decided to go see if she was around. I was very cautious, I did grow up here! This cool tree intrigued me. You can see arms emanating from the trunk reaching out for something.
 
 I got off the 'old pipeline' and looked up to Traxinger's driveway and saw her standing there watching me! I got just a bit closer and she wandered off into the trees.
 This was as close as I wanted to get to her! She was pretty calm and VERY large!
 OK, not a mallard. This is a young goldeneye. I was amazed at how close I got to it with the kayak.
 The mallards hang out in the lily pads. This year the pads are in a funny shape, you can't go around them. Going thru them was fun, but I startled the poor ducks. You can see them camouflaged in the pads.
 At the other end of the lake, I found a few more. I was able to get super close to them before they took off. Their flight feathers are almost all in place. Soon, they will be heading off to warmer lakes.



I'm always fascinated by the enchanting beauty this place harbors. Incredibly grateful to be here!

1 comment:

Celia Rhodes said...

Great pix, K! I enjoyed reading this. :)