Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Sticks and Stones and a Sunset

The breeze was fairly strong, yet the sun was at such an angle, I reckon you'll have to imagine the Big Dipper on the state flag! It was flying over the second fire dept out north. 
 Once back home, after a spot of the Olympics, I contemplated what I should do next on the drive. I truly need something with a winch as this wench is not as strong as she thinks!
 Removing debris is work. I'm always intrigued by the results of what starts out as a minor excavation. Pieces of trees like this need taken out of the soil. This was already starting to decay. Once the wood decays, it can leave a sinkhole where it once rested. Bad stuff, sinkholes.
 Our neighbor mentioned I should trim off the broken trees and they would most likely grow back. I think he would be surprised to discover many of the broken trunks were the bottoms of the trees! I looked at this and laughed. In Scouting, we were taught to plant trees with the root DOWN. Although, this poor thing hadn't a root left. Very sad.
 Nor did this one.
 Hoooray! I was digging up another trunk and discovered this one could be propped upright. I'm not sure it will survive as the trunk is severely cracked about in the middle. It was exciting, though, to see an evergreen standing all by itself.
 Then, I found a very sad bush. OK, it isn't a bush now, it WAS a bush. At the moment, it is a dirty stick with a few twigs and tattered leaves. If we get some more wet weather, it very well might snap out of the muck and take off again. Maybe.
 So, a little bit more work with a hoe (I am NOT removing all the rocks. I think most of them will be enough), I'll put the pole (from the high jump or vault, seen previously) on the edge of the true drive..or maybe spray paint!! Then, in a day or two, we'll sprinkle seeds over the mostly bare soil. Mum  has a bag of wiildflower seeds. They may take off and turn those empty ugly not for parking spaces into something the moose will love!
 I took a break before bed and went to Arness Dock again. I love how tall I appear in Alaska!!
 Fishing was open again, I'll share those photos on a different day. It was rather warm out for being 930 at night on an otherwise not entirely sunny day. The breeze had dropped, I had added a sweatshirt to my shorts, and after I collected a bag of white rocks (yup, not done yet!), I sat down and called Steve. Talking to Eastern Oregon with the sound of Inlet waves in my ear was Wonderland like. :o)


I'm glad it was such a peaceful evening. The next day, when I woke, I felt quite a bit like a creaky old car full of grass and weeds. Even the mice have vacated the residence! Old age is a ridiculous thing! 

No comments: