Friday, January 30, 2009

skipped notes

Many things have happened in the last whiles. Not the least has been that our computer has been in a state of hiccups. It worked, but only if the phone was on. Very odd and the kindly man who visited us removed a phone jack splicer and now it is faster than ever!

One of the most amusing things that I have had happen, has to do with whales. My Sunday school class is made up of boys grades 3-5. I have a running total of 1-7 depending on the day and the weather. This particular Sunday we had two. We talked about the story of Jonah and discussed how whiny he was (really, he was!) and then made itsy bitsy Jonah's from pipe cleaners and whales from empty milk jugs. As the boys wanted to make boats and I had extra stuff, they did. Using the whales and pipe cleaner dudes, you are supposed to toss the dude in the air and catch it in the whale mouth. Simple, huh? So, I sent the boys out into the sanctuary to play while I tidied up the room. (my room opens out into the sanctuary and is VERY cold most of the time). After I finished my chores, I walked into the sanctuary, where the sounds had changed from really noisy to not so noisy, and almost froze in shock! I had forgotten there were two baptisms that morning, which meant the baptismal was full of water.

Now, if YOU were a boy and had a little guy who floated, boats, and whales, and water...what would YOU do????

Exactly. They had pushed aside the curtain hiding the baptismal and were having a great time! I suggested they keep quiet, roll up their sleeves, and admonished them not to fall in and proceeded to watch them slosh Jonah from the tipsy boats and then scoop him up with the big mouthed whales. I also was thankful that no more...umm....proper member came up during the play to become distressed with turning the baptismal into a tub!!!!


Here, for your edification is a whale I put together from the leftover bits. I got the directions online and it was very simple! Jonah was more difficult. He is just a couple bits of pipe cleaner twisted together and clothed in a bit of cloth. I had more red than other colors, so our Jonah's are a bit sunburned.

Books being read: Not the Brian Jacques one pictured, although it is VERY good. I picked up some more Tamora Pierce again and one written by an 88 year old lady that is the size of the Portland Yellow pages. It is about a women's club...have not gotten very far in it yet and can see where it should go, but as it has about 3 and 1/2 inches of closely type written pages left, I am not sure how convoluted the trails to those ends will be!!!

4 comments:

aksunflour said...

uh huh... and how much trouble are you going to be in when these 2 little boys talk about how Jonah was swimming in the baptismal pool?
Try to explain that one! And when these 2 little boys get bigger and decide to get baptized they will laugh about how they sailed boats in this very water.

I posted a definition of what meme means.

bofill said...

Fantastic! I wish I'd been there; that's my kind of Sunday school class. (The whale's cute, too)

bofill said...

I have to share: the security letters I had to type to post my previous comment were "walnutho" . Brought some interesting pictures to mind...

VikingMom said...

Love the whale...I can totally picture the boys playing in the baptistry. If my boys were in your class, I can assure that at least one of them would have been swimming along with Jonah in the water!