Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dinner Muse

Well, he might not be a muse, but he is amusing! I am so glad I did not have to go to school with him today! He is in rare form...or maybe he is just himself and we were more attune to it today.

Dinner takes less than a hour, to eat, not prepare. Our conversation covered a wide range of subjects. I made a soup using potatoes that I had used in a previous roast. I don't peel my potatoes for two reasons (I am lazy and they are supposed to be more healthy). Jon observed that 'these potato peels come off just like model decals do...'

Appetizing, huh?

Steve made a comment about his hair. It is shorter, but it has a tendency to curl and it annoys Steve. He asked Jon why he pulled his hair forward around his ears. Jon said that he just gets it all wet in the morning and lets it do as it likes. It is expressive hair.

'Expressive?'

Later, we were discussing music to sleep by. (Jon has been listening to a Jim Croce greatest hits he found on the side of the road) When Jon was little he listened to lots of piano music. One of my friends got us a CD by David Lanz. Jon did not remember it, so I put it in. As we listened to it, he remarked, "It kinda rings a bell. Not like a church bell, more like a Christmas bell you hear outside of Walmart."

He's our ding a ling.

As dinner neared the end we went through the mail on the table. Jon had a letter from the church. It had been sent Jan 9 and we just got it today. Steve asked if it had Grandma's address on it. At the same time I asked if it read PO box 42. Jon, confused said, "It reads 97813."

Which is the zip code. One question at a time, parental units!

His parting comment after dinner was: Do you know what depleted uranium music is? Obviously, we had no idea and wondered if it was something Mr. Griggs taught them about in science. His answer: Heavy Metal. And it was NOT Mr. Griggs, it was pure Jonathan.

He gets his permit in two weeks. Maybe.

The oddest thing I find, is that this son of ours is the almost the exact same age as a friends'...and HER son plays sports and dresses well and likes girls. Jon does guns, casual camo, and jazz music.

And random comments.

3 comments:

Noelle said...

Don't worry I know that if our sons hung out together you would find the guns and camo side of mine. Probably not the jazz music but rejoice that your son is a unique individual!

VikingMom said...

His wry sense of humor would definitely be a hit with Austin. Especially the depleted Uranium joke. Is it just me, or are these things we gave birth too not only getting bigger, but also smarter than us? Maybe we should laugh at their strange jokes!

Kris said...

I laugh...I have to. He is the bubbles in the soda pop of our life. It would be so flat without him!