Monday, February 13, 2017

Seasons of Mom

I've been coming up to Alaska for several summers now. Each one seems to last longer than the time I thought. Nevertheless, I take a lot of photos. Some of the pictures might even have mom in them. I wanted to share the ones with mom so you can see how much she has changed since the summer of 2014. 
 Mom and I got to go on a glacier cruise in Seward my first summer home. When I got ready to leave, JaLeen took photos of the three Egberts. I didn't add the one where she cut off our heads. Even it if is my favorite one!
 In 2015, I got to Alaska on Memorial Day. We spent Father's Day with Janet's family.


 I was in Alaska til October that year.
 My sojourn in 2016 started in mid July. Mom was going thru chemotherapy and it was not helping as much as hindering. Cancer is something I've never worried much about. I mean, Mum has overcome the big C for 30 some years. Chemo, THAT scares me to death.

 This was the last photo I took just before I flew out of Kenai. It was in mom's kitchen in Nikiski on October 15, 2016..
 I arrived back in Alaska on November 3. Mom was sent to Anchorage on November 6.  I took this photo in mid November. Mum was pretty sick.
 We were able to leave the hospital on November 26, after Thanksgiving. The plane ride was hard on all of us.We landed in Kenai and moved into the parsonage at the United Methodist Church. We are still at the parsonage on Feb 12, 2017.



 Christmas brought us Jacit. It was so good she was able to come and visit on mom's favorite holiday.
 We were able to get mom a hair trim in early January. I am entirely grateful to Tamera for helping make mom lovely.
These are all different photos taken in January. She is now sleeping in a bed and uses oxygen at night. I don't know how long that will last, but taking it one day at a time.

 Knitting chemo hats has always been one of her favorite things to do. I had to remind her I had put several patterns for this hat in her yarn boxes. She often has trouble remembering how to make them.She has made quite a few since the end of November. At least 10 or 12, she says she needs yarn she has at the house cuz she is running out. (the boxes here at the parsonage still look fairly full, but I don't know yarn very well)
 At the end of January, mom got to see her dog, Obi. He is staying at Janet's and she took him for a grooming. I asked if she would bring the pup by for a short visit. Mom was very glad.
This last one was taken tonight. Feb 12, 2017. She didn't have on her glasses and my smile looks forced.  I was reminding mum to smile. Smiletalking, it is photography thing!
Mom is wanting to go home and plant and sew and get projects done. She misses watching the birds, her pets, and she absolutely misses her multi channeled bigger screen TV.
  Where there is life, there is hope.

No comments: