Monday, November 28, 2016

Moving out!

Discharge papers done. Insulin pump cannula stuck in belly (you really can find anything out on google!). Miss Rose (mom's new walker) filled with assorted things.The last of Mom's  bouquet in hand. We were ready to roll! 
Mom's first outing (barring the helicopter ride to Anchorage on November 5). The ride was bumpy, but fun and a bit nerve wracking. 
 This airline deserves high praise. Granted, they had an obscure "Happy New Year" greeting on Thanksgiving, but they really come thru when needed. I do wish I had found out earlier that persons with cancer could fly free, but maybe others will see this and use that option. The personnel took excellent care of mom from the time we got her out of the bus and thru the doors at the airport to the time they got her curbside in Kenai. Ravn Alaska is truly a great way to travel in Alaska!
 This is the plane we flew to Kenai on. Fast and efficient. The molasses cookies they handed out at the end were VERY good.
 Waiting for take off. We even got to sit under the deicing machine. I've never experienced that before!
 I didn't take many more pictures. It was not one of the most relaxing plane rides I have been on. I was incredibly thankful it was fast! I did smile thru my tears when I realised we were almost home.

Mike met us in Kenai and loaded our stuff in his rig and mom in ours. We got to the Parsonage where there were welcoming flowers on the table in the living room. The day after Thanksgiving is the annual 'Santa Comes to Kenai' parade, which goes right past the church. This has been going on since I was a kid. It has changed a great deal, though! Mike gallantly braved the crowds and took a back way to a local spot to grab us dinner. I'd eaten there with Randall (Toyman), but hadn't had Katina's pizza. YUMMY.
It was a long Friday and it was good to get back to Kenai. Hospitals are great places, but long term stays can be daunting. In spite of the wonderful personnel who work in every section.

No comments: