Friday, August 14, 2015

Catching up to Fall

Fall is fast approaching. The lily pads are crinkling and yellow, their stems are rotting underwater, and when you float over them in the kayak, it makes a mournful whispery sound. 
I've been trying to get out every day I can. This photo was before the meteors. I did, on the advice of my sister, go on the lake in the kayak to watch the stars. It was the most amazing thing I think I've done in ages. I think I kept grinning the whole time I was out there. OK-not the entire time. When I was closer to shore, I was a bit nervous. Even though it wasn't super dark on the lake, the shoreline was VERY black. Disembarking from a kayak in blackness with the use of a tiny flash stuck between your teeth is an experience in itself! 

 So many of the ducks are grown and close to moving on. I was out the other day and startled some into flight over and away from the lake. I think it may have been the first over the trees flight for many of them. I was nervous they wouldn't find their way back, but it appears most of them did. The Golden Eye babies are not ready yet. They are always late bloomers.
 This is perhaps one of the best lake finds this summer. I am not sure if he is 'The Old Man in the Tree', an aged Ent, or Groot on the edge of a nursing home. I love this guy and have found myself conversing with him every so often. Isn't he adorable???? Some people have told me he looks sad. I think he is probably just grumpy.
 I came in from the lake and saw something tiny hopping out of my way. REALLY tiny. This little fully formed frog was smaller than my thumbnail!!!
 Definite sign of fall. Fireweed gone to seed. It has happened FAST this year. We still have some lovely odd warm days, but the nights are chill. Dropping down to almost 30 here at mum's house. If you go by the forecasters, it will be a warm winter. If you go by the indicators of fireweed and termination dust, it probably won't be. Wonder who to believe? The science or the traditional signs?

 Our teenage mallards, swimming in formation.
 Kris in shadows. I'm so silly!

No comments: