Thursday, May 22, 2014

Fire and Fish

This was on Tuesday night. At the time of this blog, it is now 44 thousand acres... and it is really smoky everywhere except in North Kenai, where I am writing from (the Sr Center). 
 Fishing was the most incredible adventure. I know, it seems odd to find an Alaskan kid who hasn't gone halibut fishing, but there you are. As you can see, the very first thing I encountered was stairs. BUT, I navigated them with my eyes closed both ways and I was very proud of myself.
 It took a long time to get out to the area where our captain wanted to fish, but it was great fun. Halibut do NOT act like a fish shaped fish. I caught one early on and it was dropped back, I lost several, and then finally at the end got my two.  The fish were caught with herring bits and even squid!




 We had about 14 people fishing and the two young people in the crew were everywhere. Max is going to start captaining his own boat and Maureen is going to be joined by another young lady. It was fun to watch them as they cleaned all these fish in record time. The gulls loved it, too.

 On the way home, we stopped in Clam Gulch to take some pictures. The sky was scary and exciting and ash was dropping on the truck.
The sky was really dark as we headed toward Soldotna. Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as it looked in the city. Most of the darkness was over Tustumena lake. 


No comments: