Saturday, June 06, 2009

MORE flowers and a nest hunt

I love my new yard. It has so many kinds of flowers in it! My Tillamook yard had flowers, too, but these are all new ones and it is exciting to meet them! Since I took most of these photos, we had a HUGE thunderstorm and many of them were flattened or otherwise disfigured. At least we have the proof in the photography!

My iris are GREAT. I love iris. They remind me of my friend Kanga and her mum. So far, I have the yellow ones and only one brown one that bloomed this year. I need some purple ones. When the yellow ones get too heavy, they fall and I bring them inside. They smell yummy.
My roses looked and also smelled great. They were not as handy as a cut flower as they only lasted one day. I need to save the petals next year, before the thunderstorms!
My very favorite flower so far this year, I do not have in my yard yet. My plant is about a handspan tall. I am looking forward to next year's flowers! These all came from friends and neighbors and they are wonderful! I was really surprised at how they fall apart so fast when they are done. Jon was wondered how so many petals could fit on one flower! I did explain it was parts of several of them, but it is still amazing how they work! I laughed when I saw the mess on the floor, I thought it looked like chicken feathers! So, here are the peony and petals (sounds like a rock group, huh?)


OK, now that we have done chicken feathers, here is a 'Where is the nest' photo!
Amazing, huh? The parents are killdeer and we are not sure if they are going to hatch, it has been a very long time since they were laid and they incubate for about 28 days. We really want them to, as they are in a very bad place. Steve almost ran over the nest a couple of times before he found it and now we try to avoid it, but it is very hard!
Just read a 'new' book. It is a 1926 Newberry called 'Smokey the Cow Horse' and it was very fun to read!

1 comment:

aksunflour said...

you gotta' read the book "hit by a farm". it is really funny.

my honeysuckle bush is just starting to bloom. will post a pic when it goes. and you can have all peonies that you like (can't stand them- to buggy).