Wednesday, September 25, 2019

To Remember

The ashes I sent to Minnesota have already been placed. Here in Alaska, Mum's ashes have been scattered for the last month. The first time was when we put some in the lake here at the house. There aren't any photos of that.This Sunday we went and took her to Homer and the last of dad's to Anchor Point. 
 When we moved to Alaska, it was to Homer. The picture below is from 1971 and the first photo of mom on the Homer Spit. Mom always wanted to return to Homer, we finally went back on September 22.
 I didn't have any pictures of mom's last visit to Homer. It was in 2015 and we were with JaLeen and Janet. This picture is from 2014, when mom and I stopped on the Anchor Point beach. 
 Here are mom and Obi on what was one of her last visits to Arness Dock in the late summer of 2018.
Before we took mom's ashes to Homer, Lee wanted to sing to her. He and Eric were playing at Jamfest in Soldotna. 



 One of the things I wanted to do was put dad in the Anchor Point cemetery with Grams. We finally found the cemetery, we never did find Grams. 

We did find one of my best friends who died a few months earlier, so we knew we were in the right time plot. 
So, that is about where Lee scattered dad. 

The tide was still fairly low on the spit. I was glad, It made for a mucky walk, but the patterns left by the ash were pretty. (they are the lighter white spots on the dark sandy mud) 




 I also scattered some down by Land's End. Another one of mom's favorite places on the Spit. It was a lovely day, full of laughter, tasty food, and memories.
 On Tuesday, Tamera went with me to Arness Dock to scatter ashes there. This is where Mom fished with NIkki and where Dad used to work. 

 The waves were a bit difficult to avoid, but Tamera made scattering ashes look so pretty!
 Mine was a bit less graceful, but mom is now a part of the  upper and lower inlet and these ashes I'd mixed up with some volcanic ash I found on the counter. Not sure which volcano, I do have another baby food jar with a bit more of mom and a different volcano. Not sure where those will go, yet.
Mom is now at rest. At least in body. Mother Teresa was one of her favorite people to quote. I felt this thought was apt as I look back and ahead:
“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”

No comments: