Sunday, August 25, 2019

All Things Bright and Beautiful

I'm not feeling very good today. So, instead of being in church and doing errands, I'm sitting in front of the window looking out at a shining greenish lake. Fluttering golden leaves are dancing from their summer berths to anchor wherever they might for the winter season. Some are in the lake, others the ground, more are inside evergreens and bared deciduous branches of other kinds of trees. Fireweed are shaking their down coats , sending seeds aloft to land where they might grow into a towering flowering herb. Colors are changing fast from summer to fall, winter's stark beauty isn't far off. Babies are growing up and I was fortunate enough to see a few of them the last day or two. 
It isn't often I see these. Spruce hen used to be much more common on walks to and from the bus stop. This family made me laugh when I spied them on the drive. 

 First this one crossed to the other side. Later, the others followed. They aren't so little anymore!!!

I was excited to see these two Sunday morning. I'm pretty sure this is the baby who tripped over the Dish cables hidden in the moss and brush. Some of my photos aren't very clear, but I was pretty thrilled!!! 


 She is RIGHT at the end of the sidewalk next to the house. She was looking at me and I was making darn certain to stay inside the door. I wasn't sure if she was going to step on the concrete! Thankfully, the young one distracted her from the odder threat of me. Kids tend to do that no matter what the species!!! You can see a little leg beyond her head-
 If you look at the photo, you can see on the edge of the right the corner of the house! I guess fireweed and leaves were too dry for the youngster, it almost looks too big to nurse!


 They both wandered in to the mowed part of the yard and I had to speak sternly when the youngster started munching on mom's lilac! (those photos didn't turn out!)
 They didn't stick around too long, but it was beautiful to see them!! I did see the younger bull on Saturday. He was hidden and then left. I hope he comes back, it looked as if one of his antlers was broken! I think the larger bull was taken down. I heard a gunshot the other day and although it is bow season til the first....
One afternoon I ran off to the lake. I saw this incredible masterpiece and paddled away so I could show how camouflaged it was. 

 I also found this beauty on a birch. I was hoping to capture one in flight over the grasses, it wasn't efficient!
Going back in time. This was Saturday the 17th, the day the Swan Lake fire blew up. When we were driving back, the sky was incredibly eerie! 

I look at this world of our and am thankful. Today our sky is cloudy, but no smoke in scent or visibility. Other portions of the peninsula aren't so fortunate. It's chilly in the shade, the thermometer is in the sunshine and reads it is getting up to the 70's. However, the house is not! I'm looking forward to seeing what else might show up around me as summer draws to an end. 

No comments: