Saturday, June 08, 2019

On the lake

 I got out in the kayak this week, so I thought I'd post. As I am typing, I'm looking down at the floating pallets and there is a mommy with what appears to be a single duckling. She had two last night and at least 5 at the time of these photos. The ducks in the pictures, however, are a different family. I hope there are some babies left by the time Jon arrives. He's in or leaving Anchorage about now, so there might be a few. He did say he'd stop along the drive to take pictures. Stay tuned for photos from a NEW camera (he says he needs another battery and I'll have to find out where he can get one of those!). He took some around the house to practice and they turned out very well. Meanwhile, you have to see Alaska through my lens spotted camera!

When the babies are first born and as they grow, the families hang out in what we have always called the nursery. There is a mallard family in the photo below. The lily pads and the sparkling water often makes it harder for predators to find the young ones. But, they don't stay in that area and that is when death strikes. 
 These are golden eye. I'm pretty sure it is a male and a female. They sure made a ton of racket on the lake!!




There was a lovely play of the light reflections on this old tree. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out as well as it might have if I'd taken a video. 
 I was excited to spot the mallard family on the edge of the lake, I was a tad concerned because she didn't like the looks of the kayak and went around me into deeper water.


 Even the babies were checking out that giant odd orange bird floating along!

 The golden eye don't seem to care who is in their way. The mama had safely herded her family around me when the mating pair crashed into their flotilla! Mama was very put out and managed to keep everyone together.
 Later, it was quiet again and I was reading. Then, I heard crashing noise in the wood and looked up from my book to see the young bull! He was entirely unimpressed with my being in the lake. I wished he'd have been braver, a photo of a moose in the lake would have been cool!


 For being so large, they camouflage well.
 The pallets are favorites for the ducks. Grooming seems to be a land thing!


Later, about midnight, I heard splashing from the lake and spied one of the bulls wading past that area. He was moving too fast for me to snap his photo and the mosquitoes were fierce!
 We've had some spectacular sunsets, but I"ve been staying at the house. Too tired to leave that late, but I will once Jonathan arrives. I can't wait for him to experience our long days. He's only been here in July or September. I imagine the guys will probably NOT like having the curtains wide and the windows open a smidge. They aren't used to sleeping in daylight! Friday I had several out to help me with what cleaning, recycling, and tossing what was doubtful! It truly has been a blessed week out north. Looking forward to sharing it with my family. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seems all is normal on Lake Egbert.😃