Sunday, April 15, 2018

Swans!

There are a LOT of swan photos here. I tried to decide what not to share, but it was too difficult! I was so excited to see them and I wanted to show off every photo I had. Last  year, there was a single grown swan paddling on the edge of the ice. This year, there were four adults, with a pair on the right side and a pair on the left. It was hard to choose which two to watch! These are unedited (the first one I did crop a bit of ground and sky off-I did a careful sneaking up on them. I kept taking photos so I'd have something if they spooked.) 


 Often ducks will hang out near these swan because the larger birds stir up vegetation from below with their beaks or feet. This makes for an easy snack for the other dabblers.  


This was the second pair. They did quite a bit of grooming. 






 (Back to the other side....I was really excited!)







 And then everyone decided to swim off. I hope to see them again, I don't want to disturb them, but I'd love to get a bit closer than the verge on the road.

 I believe these are Trumpeter Swan. Tundra swan congregate in flocks, while these tend to  keep to pairs. They are reported to mate for life, but not always. Trumpeter swan have all black beaks, while the Tundra ones have a yellow spot near their bill, but not always! The black band on their beak tends to be a 'U' shape to the 'V' on the Trumpeter. The Tundra swan is also smaller. The Trumpeter does not have much of a call. More of a 'oh-ohhhh' sound. You'd never believe such a giant bird (25 pounds) would have such a quiet voice. I forgot to mark what gives them their  name, the Tundra sort of whistle when they fly (their wings), but these guys are more silent once they get off the water. I often look up bird information on the all about birds site on Cornell lab of ornithology. (follow link)



No comments: