Sunday, March 19, 2017

Winter Friends

In one of the versions of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley, the main character, Beauty, asks the magic for birds. She didn't ask for moose, but I reckon this  critter could be the beast! Although, she is a very pretty girl. 
She hung out in the yard for quite a while. When I went down to get the paper, I noticed she had better traction than I did on the icy drive! She also nibbled on the trees she could reach on both sides as she strolled. I didn't take photos of her as she left the yard, I took most of these from the porch or close to the garage when I went out to get more seed for the birds. She may be a lovely lady, but she is not a tame beast.



 You can tell how deep the snow is here, There is a nice crust on top, but when you break thru there is powder underneath. I know this, I tried to get to a bird feeder mom wants picked up. It has fallen off the hanger. It is over on the lake side and I do not have adequate clothing to wade thru the snow and retrieve it. I can't even get to the larger feeding spot.
 So, I sprinkled seed on top of the snow. The birds took a couple of days to find it, but they have arrived. Wings of all colors fluttered through the winter background today. Woodpeckers, chickadees, finches, red polls, and grosbeaks graced the yard with busy cries as they rediscovered mom's place.




 The temps have warmed a bit. At least this week! Down at Station 2 in North Kenai (near the post office) it was about 27 degrees. But, the wind chill dropped it back to 19. Even the chickadees look unimpressed!
Mom is very glad the birds have come back to her castle. She has been watching the basketball madness in between long naps and enjoying being home.

No comments: