Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring! or the Pros and Cons of weed barrier.

It has been lovely this week. In spite of the fact that Jon started out this week by being very sick, things are much better now. It has been nice and spring like and stuff has been popping out like crazy. I first had to read The Secret Garden (In honor of spring and Mrs. Downs!) and while I was doing that, I decided to edge our front sidewalk. You know, our sidewalk is bigger than I thought! And it has a mess of cracking that needs fixed, but I am so glad I planted the bulbs back as far as I did, without the grass, they are much closer to the sidewalk!

Moses saw me taking a photo and wanted something from me and Max is just a scaredy cat and likes to hide under the porch. I also fixed the edges around my gardens that fell over this winter. They need something else, but I am not sure what. They are not entirely even, but they ARE upright!

In the back yard we had a problem. Weed barrier is very good to keep out the weeds and for growth of large worms, but not so good for plants that like to spread.
I had a bunch of iris that I discovered were growing on TOP of the barrier, so I divided them and replanted them. I should have done it last fall, but was not paying attention. I also found something that looks like a calla lily. There were two trying to grow through the barrier
I felt so sorry for them, that I moved them, too. And then after school, Jon and I went out and got me a 'fence'. I will show you a more completed picture of that particular yard arrangement later.



Am now reading Alaska books. Read House Upon a Rock, even if it is a bit early for it and am on Watch for a Tall White Sail.


3 comments:

Mrs. Henderson said...

What are those interesting wooden wagon-wheel-like things? Those are cool.

And about the 12 mintues...we have to sing 12-18 minutes of music to qualify for State. The winning choir sang 11:17. So they can't apply to the tape pool - good for us. (That school will probably qualify at a different festival, though.) The Vocal Ensemble will be in San Francisco during the next festival so I'm glad we did as good as we did...it was our only chance for State. We've made it to State via the tape pool before, so I'm hoping.

aksunflour said...

Good heavens! you have robbed the mermaids of the starfish.

finally updated my blog.

Kanga said...

Those are some seriously spiky tumblng tumbleweed ninja star wheels of impalement. Careful how you use them!