Saturday, October 06, 2007

Esio Trot-ter??


Not sure how many of you have read that clever story by Roald Dahl, Esio Trot? Well, today I kept thinking of it, even though we have nary a tortoise in the neighborhood. Although, we just might and we haven't seen it yet!

It has been a misty rainy sort of weekend (the week was just rainy and stormy in spots) and one has to continue doing chores in spite of the weather. So, I did a bunch of errands and got some supplies to do a few things and came home. I managed to get soaked while arranging Teddy's dog house (we have to leave him outside now as it will be easier for the realtors to get in when I am not home.) and ran into a few difficulties. I couldn't find the zip ties..they were much higher than I could easily reach, but I managed. I couldn't find the staple gun..I finally got it off the highest shelf by climbing on a milk crate and stretching. When I got it down, it needed staples and so, back up on the shelf I went. Eventually, it was done and I came inside to dry off and change clothes. Then the neighbor came over. He is selling a cord of wood for us and wanted to load it on his truck. So, I got my wet things back on and started to help. However, we got some unusual visitors while we were loading wood. It wasn't the little pig that stayed home or the little pig that had roast beef, it was probably the little pig who went to market and got lost on the way and the one who went wee wee wee..but didn't go home (I am betting he is the one with the collar). Pigs are very cute, but rather tough on yards. They are like little roto tillers and I had to stop helping our neighbor and keep chasing them from my yard and our other neighbor's yard. Then, Teddy was inside and very upset about these odd looking creatures in the yard..and he got out. Oddly enough, he saw a dog and forgot the pigs for the moment. I finally caught him and put him back in the house (this time I closed the door firmly) and after much longer, the pigs were finally corralled by a lady down the road and taken back to her home. Where I hope they stay!
Yesterday was not fun either. I decided, as it was the nicest day in the next 5, to primer the door. It needed done ages ago, but sadly it wasn't. So, I did it. It wasn't hard until I tried to put the knobs back in. Very bad idea to take knobs out. Especially if you close the door. In order to open it I had to put the knob partially back. (I hadn't taken the little latchy thing out) They are in now, but not as well as they were..which may be why Teddy was able to get out this afternoon. Unless, I just forgot to close it. That could be the correct answer.

So, Jake, I hope this sastisfies your cravings for news. I definitely hope I don't get a day like this for a very long time!

2 comments:

aksunflour said...

Love the pigs.... maybe they were part of the 3 little pigs (huff and puff, blow your house down.)

As for the door knob- I don't think you are supposed to remove the knobs to paint. Just tape them up and then use a very fine touch up paintbrush to get close. And doorknobs take 2 people to put back in.

Mrs. Henderson said...

What a day! I hope you're all dried off now and those not so "little" piggies are all penned up. I went kayaking for the first time today and didn't turn over once! It was so peaceful and beautiful. We (a group of teachers led by Clair Thomas) went down Hoquarten Slough. If you're not busy on the 22nd, our Fall Concert is that night...7:00 in the auditorium. Have a good week.