Monday, June 26, 2023

Kris in Minnesota

 


I wanted to go East to see some of the relatives and places mum would have. One thing I learned from mum was if you can do something and want to do it, don't put it off. So, I didn't. 
 Aunt Darlene painted the above picture in a class taught by Erin. (Erin also gave me one she had done, only it is horizontal.) Lake Superior is a beautiful place. Unfortunately, the view from the house on Skyline isn't as great as it was even 30 years ago. You used to be able to see the Aerial Bridge and more of the ships as they moved around, but there is a new rule about not trimming trees. So, you pay for a harbor view you don't get. 




Erin is the two legger for this adorable youngster. His name is Frode- Scandinavian for clever, learned, wise. 
On Aunt Darlene's birthday, Uncle Bill and Aunt Joanie came to visit for a bit. I was very thankful to see them!!!! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see Uncle Gary and Aunt Marilyn in the cities. Am still sad about that. 

Aunt Darlene surveying the lawn descending to Skyline Parkway.

On the way to one of the restaurants where we celebrated Aunt Darlene's birthday, we passed mum's old High School. Central is now being turned into an apartment complex! The place we visited for one of the celebrations was called Ledge Rock Grille in Twin Harbors. Completely fun and totally different than anything I've experienced! 

On Aunt Darlene's real birthday, we visited a spot downtown. It was across the street from a handmade ice cream restaurant. One that made rhubarb ice cream during the summer months from local rhubarb! We picked a bunch for Erin to take in. 


Two things I had hoped to do while in Duluth were shop for souvenirs and visit Park Point. (Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see Candy, who grew up on the Point.) There was a bluegrass band playing outside a local Farmer's Market. I picked up some fun earrings, honey sticks, and Duluth syrup there. Park Point was cold and foggy, there was a Point wide garage sale going on, but we didn't stop. Below, you can see across to Wisconsin. 

It was a fast 10 or so days, but I am very glad I went. 


No comments: