Saturday, July 14, 2018

Birthday and What Not-

Jon retrieved all the parts to Steve's birthday present and left dad to assemble it while he went off to work again. Steve said it wasn't too difficult to put together, in spite of having limited directions! Moses managed to hop up into it (he's getting older and it is harder for him to move.), so as thought, the cat is very pleased. Can't you tell? 
Steve likes it, too! I purchased it off of Amazon from Best Choice Products. I ordered the stand and the hammock. Steve said it is still needs some work to make it tighter, but otherwise, I think I chose well! 
Jon also tried it out. (he was after starlings and it didn't work quite as well as he'd hoped)

While out and about, I was in line at Walmart and the lady in front of me was a bit flustered. It appears everyone comes to Kenai and fishes during July. I think she said this is Captain Andy Hillstrand. While at Home Depot, I parked next to a truck with the ornament below on the hood. (The lady inside was sleeping, so I snagged a picture of it) 



I also discovered Tillamook ice cream is reaching out in flavors. I didn't get one, but I was definitely impressed! 

 I purchased suet cuz the young woodpeckers were searching all over for something easy to snack on. This wasn't up for long before a couple landed on the feeder. I think this juvenile was with a parent (on the other side).
This incident actually happened earlier in the day. I didn't want to start out with carnage, though! I was in my room and mom called me to say a big bird was on the pallets with a duck. I ran upstairs and managed to take this one very bad photo before using my binoculars and seeing the duck just might be still alive. I knew it was a grown duck, which means there would be some defenseless babies out there. I ran down to see if I could scare it off. I did. The predator lifted the adult duck like it was a mouse and sailed off into the trees. I am pretty sure it is a goshawk. Unfortunately, most bird books and photos are much better and don't show the topside of the bird. I downloaded a bird app from the Cornell Lab (birding institute), but it wasn't much help. You post the photo and then it chooses a bird. I was told this was an American Crow. When I searched on my own, I read the goshawk has a long tail, is fast, can take down larger prey, and plucks the birds it kills. 
 The pallet and water were covered in feathers. Definitely a plucking situation. I don't know which mom was taken, I'm sure the ducklings are gone now. I've not seen many out there on the water. It has been 24 hours and nature is not kind when it comes to trying to survive.

Steve was going to drive the Mercury to the parade for Caledonian Days. I won't get any photos since Jon is probably driving a different vehicle (the fire truck). Steve was wishing someone could drive the Land Cruiser, but two drivers and 3 rigs means one vehicle gets to stay home! The were planning to take the Mercury to DQ on Friday. If so, it will be the first time for Jon to ride in it! 


No comments: