Friday, February 09, 2018

A Country Mouse Goes to the City and Back

Mum and I went to Anchorage fully expecting mum to get a nerve block shot. (The entire medical field around pain management is incredibly fascinating. These dermatomes are so important and act like magic when they are manipulated.) The doctors opted to prep mom for a pain pump (also by medronics). So, Monday we spent the afternoon at the office and retired to stay at the Coast International. 
We ate in the dining area where mum was able to watch hockey. We had very filling dinners. Mum was pretty tired and got on her jammies soon after getting back to our room. Unfortunately, the games were NOT on channels available. Mum was slightly put out. 

 Tuesday morning, we took a taxi to the office and mum was given a trial injection in preparation for the pain pump. They were moving fast since they knew we had to travel back and forth. While in the waiting room I watched these guys tend the real plants (I had thought they were fake!) and a lovely lady musician from Tennessee (I think) host a cooking show.

 Mum's pain went from 7 to 0 in just an hour (when mum feels she is at a 7, that is about 14 for me). We finally were able to leave and head back to the hotel and lunch. Mum had gotten her injection about 10 and we left just before noon. It was snowy and lovely!
 I went for a walk on Tuesday night. The hotel is not in an accessible spot. I walked on the side of the road til I found cleared sidewalks. When I was on my way back, I figured I could walk on the sidewalks all the way around. Nope, didn't work!!!
 Path I was walking on til I realised it wasn't going where I wanted to go. I set off through the clean unbroken snow and managed to get back to where I had started from.

 Our last morning at Pipers, I had chicken and waffles. I have always read about this meal in old fashioned stories. It was really good, but I do wonder if the chicken in the books were tenderloins.
 This is Tony. He was our taxi driver the entire time we were in ANC. He has lived in Anchorage for about 17 years, has a 14 year old daughter, and a mini short hair dachshund from Soldotna.  His taxi was incredibly clean and he played orchestra music the entire time. He also managed to dodge an accident and while stopped, rolled down the passenger window to check on the other driver almost hit. That man deftly managed to get out of the snowbank and shouted he was fine. The car who caused the mishap, blithely drove on ahead of us all with snow completely covering his back window.
 Mum was really worn out on Wednesday morning. But, she was in very little pain at all.
 We flew back to Kenai on Ravn (I love these guys!!), on the flight there was a man who said he had graduated in 1983 (I had NO idea who he was, but he dated Bonnie M and lives out north).
 Once we landed, I found mum's car snow free. I think Nat did this, but there wasn't a name on the footprints. I'm betting it was angels.

 Angels also came and plowed the drive. The pipeline hadn't been done, but the drive was perfectly lovely. Thank you so much to our lovely amazing wonderful neighbors!!!

 In the mail I got more birthday fun!!!! I feel so privileged to have gotten so many notes from people!It truly has been a blessed turning of the year.
 Since it was so nice out (about 14 degrees) I went outside and spotted a few birds. I wasn't able to get many photos, but these two definitely caught my eye. (the chickadee has a long, bent beak!)

I'll see what there is to find as the week goes on. Hoping to catch another sunset and we might get more snow!!! 


No comments: