Thursday, August 24, 2017

Dockside---

I had a bit of an idea to make more of a 'dock' down by the lake. It was kicked into motion when some friends visited. Janet got me supplies and God sent the sunny day, so I got to work.
 One of the tires got away from me and rolled down the hill. Oddly, I made a ringer!!! 
 Once the tires were in place, I headed up to work on the 'hard' part.
 Pallet from Janet. I trimmed a bit off here and there with hammer, small pry bar, pliers, and bow saw. I was pretty impressed with how it turned out!
 I was going to line it with plastic (we have some left over from when the basement fiasco happened), but forgot pallets have a spine. So, I worked around it.
 This was the worst part. I had a piece of foam from when I made the first pallet 'dock' a few years ago. I also had a sawzall back then and it was a hundred times more efficient than a bow saw. I recall using a hand saw one other time, but could not find it ANYWHERE! These little styro bits are horrid. Thankfully, it was not windy, so I could work in the garage with the door open (also good as the place is still without power!) and I was able to collect most of the white bits. Such a mess and so very bad for the environment.
 I stuffed the pieces in the pallet and covered them with the plastic, hammered the ends on and it looked pretty good! Huzzah-  (hmmm, The pieces in the pallet are protected by the plastic. I think I need to watch 'Court Jester' again!!)
 I carted it down to the lake and placed it firmly on the tires. It fit on a portion of one already placed and one of the newer tires. I like having an extra one, but maybe I can get another pallet..although, there really isn't much of the foam block left!

 It is going to be a perfect place to sit in the sunshine or at night to watch the stars and northern lights.


 
 After 8pm, I decided to go out and see how it 'worked' with the kayak. It was nice to have a place to put things while I was getting in and out. I think it was a good idea and I'm very thankful for the push to put it together and the sunny day in which to do it! The lake is still really shallow, but more rain is expected, so please, God, let the lake keep rising!

No comments: