Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Water and Lights

 These are from December 31. I realise it was a while ago, but I've been sick.

 I went out on New Year's Day Eve to stand on the edge of the bluff over the river. The tide was coming in, ice was riding on the surface, time had not stopped.


 The river didn't care what year it was. The current wasn't changing because people around the Kenai were joining loved ones who had gone before. The water was steadily doing what it had always done. It was incredibly cold outside as I contemplated the lessons the river was sharing. The setting sun of 2016 on the moving surface gave me peace. I do not have a clue what this next year might bring. I don't know what will happen from day to day! Yet, the pattern of lights on the ever changing skin of the Kenai will always remain. The clouds obscured the mountains across the bay, but I knew they were there holding the Inlet in as it ebbs and flows and is. I scampered back to the house with my slightly frozen nose and more than chilled fingers, I was thankful for the steady passage of time. For what it has done and what it will do as it continues to keep to familiar patterns.

Later that evening, I went outside to look at bright explosions in the sky. I managed to finally capture at least one set of lights on trees at an office near here. They are bright green, red, and blue. This is the only one which turned out. 
When the major fireworks started, I ran outside again, in less clothes than I should have. (I had forgotten my insulated skirt, classic to usage in the northern climes!) I didn't walk to the bluff edge, but I thought about it! There were fireworks going off in every direction. Echoes of pops reverberated while I was talking to Steve. I was completely cold and in need of a warm shower when I got back inside. 
And yet, the Kenai River stayed its course and never wavered.

No comments: