Saturday, January 31, 2015

Burgers and fries for dessert!

I had an idea a while back. I wanted to make Jon a hamburger birthday cake for his 21st birthday. Something memorable. I looked up different versions of it and jumped in with both feet and the mixer running. 
 My first thought was to make the bun out of angel cake. That didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but it all worked out as I purchased raspberries making the angel cake MY birthday cake! The yellow cake ended up the bun. I wanted it larger (I didn't pay attention to the differences in 8/9 in cake pans..I have 9in ones), but didn't have enough yellow cake batter. I shouldn't have worried.  I sprinkled chopped up white chips on the top layer for sesame seeds (cake in the far back of the above  photo) and got a tad carried away. While these were waiting to be assembled, I was talking to Jon's brother and he suggested I needed a ham slice layer~ so that was the last 'cake' I made.
 I frosted the bottom layer with 'mayo' (white frosting). The onions, lettuce, hothouse tomatoes (they aren't red enough for hone grown tomatoes!) were made from store bought Wilton Vanilla Fondant. (I didn't like it, thankfully, it is only on the edges!) During assembly (which didn't take long) I put strawberry jam over a layer of chocolate (the burger) and then the strawberry cake 'ham' slice.The next burger wasn't as flat as I hoped, so I filled in the edges with chocolate frosting.
 The last layer of goo was yellow frosting 'mustard' and more fondant. I topped it with the yellow cake I'd sprinkled with the chocolate chip bits. It didn't turn out too bad, even if I DID forget the cheese!
 The last thing we added were the fries. Steak fries are easy to cut from pound cake. Tasty, too!
                       Here are the two birthday cakes together. It is a tad blurry, but Jon was pretty excited!

 So, if you have a birthday or just any kind of party coming up, this is a very easy cake to make (really, the time was baking the things and playing with the fondant for the first time--eww). Jon thinks there may be 301 cubic inches of cake in this, but am betting he's off a bit. It was 9 inches tall and the cake was made in 9 in pans, but am still unsure of his math! It did taste good and there is a lot of it left. It is not 'professional' by any means, but it was fun and, as I mentioned above, EASY. The latter is very important in my book!

No comments: