Monday, August 24, 2009

Not everything is what it seems

Sunday was interesting. I did not have my glasses on when I spotted a bright reddish shape in my garden where no reddish shape should be. I slipped on my outside shoes and dashed out to the garden and found a poppy plant!!! I was puzzled and excited. Excited because I had planted an entire packet of the seeds earlier this year, but puzzled because only one came up. As I looked at the flower more closely, I realised what had happened! The blasted thing looks like a thistle! I have learned that anything that resembles a thistle over here...probably is. So, I had been weeding up my young poppies. In fact, as I looked the area over (I had not weeded that particular area in a week or so and this flower was under my Virginia Creeper plant), I did see at least two more plants that WERE thistles. So, I toddled off to church is a rather disgruntled mood.
See how thorny the leaves look?

At church I got to play with some of the kids and we were going over the story of Lazarus. This is a great story of a man Jesus raised from the dead after 4 days and it leads into a good discussion on friendship. As I told the story I asked questions. Things were going fairly well until I asked the kids the names of Jesus friends. The blurted answers were Mary...Martha....Stewart! And the worst part was, they kept saying the names! They knew that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, but insisted on Stewart being a friend. As I was discussing this with one of my very dear friends Monday morning, she started laughing and said....'Martha Stewart!' On further reflection we are positive that was where the snafu lay, but now I will never remember the story of Lazurus without thinking of the poor forgotten friend Stewart. He must have been in the kitchen.

Book list: a lot of different ones. The dragon ones I thought I had finished, but there are two more! Sent the first one to Tony. And on a different note, did everyone see that Jeremy from Zits finally got his DL???????

No comments: