Thursday, July 02, 2020

A Day Outside


  Today, it is July 2, 2020. Tony’s birthday. Earlier, I took the opportunity to sit outside and wrote down a few of my observations. I’m going to celebrate my eldest by sharing those here.

  Distantly, I hear sounds of man. The thrum of machines, maybe a chainsaw or an ATV, airplanes droning overheard, and wind chimes sounding out in varied silver tones. Man, however, is overpowered here by the delightful orchestra of nature. Woodwinds, made up of birds, trill and chirp alarms and boundaries as they flit from tree to ground and back. I have always loved the repetitive call of the chickadee. ‘Chicka dee dee dee!’ Staccato bass notes from a woodpecker pounding on a tree catch my ear and I try to find out where it is. I’m pretty sure it is a hairy woodpecker, it is very loud! So is the high pitched piccolo yelling of the squirrel, I think those creatures are still mad they can’t get into the attic of the garage! If I could only understand what is inside the cadence of that voice (or probably not!). Insects buzz as they dive around me, I’m most annoyed by the upper registers of the mosquito whine (That is often accompanied by the human sound of my hand slapping where it was or is!) and the irritating ‘zzz’s’ of horse flies. I can hear quiet liquid notes of splashing from different waterfowl in the lake and the adorable ‘ploop’ as the golden eye babies practice diving. Over, or perhaps, under everything, you can hear the breeze as it rushes along through the different foliage, spreading gossip in a building crescendo before leaving for a few more measures.






  The sounds are stunning, yet the feast of visuals before my wondering eyes, is beyond priceless. So many colors of greens and greys and browns with touches of other spectrum from the rainbow. I’m fascinated by the evergreens this year. I can’t decide if they are a tiered chandelier with upside down candles or an odd dress with way too many decorations on the top. I don’t think I’ve seen the trees with this many pine cones on them before! I love birch trees, though. Their branches twist so alluringly as they reach for the sky, yet their smallest branches catch and hold leaves like fingers grasping summer. I adore how their bark comes off in onion paper thin strips in a million shades. Dandelions have always fascinated me, as well. They grow from bright buttons of gold to globes of fuzz waiting to clock out. Going, going, gone!



  I’m drawn to the birds again. They also have myriad of color hidden in their feathers. Most of ours in the north tend to the darker hues. I don’t often get to see junco of such deep grey. The bright yellow beaks stuffed full of seed make me laugh. I’ve always loved the brave and courageous nuthatch. They aren’t as cheeky as the chickadee or dressed as fancy in white and black or even having a distinctive call, it doesn’t matter. For being a tiny quiet bird, they do stand out. I like that.
I hope you enjoyed my brief sojourn in the yard out north. I wish Tony was here, he’d definitely enjoy the peace and beauty all around. Probably not the mosquitoes, though!




on an aside, Blogger has updated and it is much more difficult to use. I almost lost this blog that I've had for years, messed up passwords for other accounts, and all in all I'm not impressed.

No comments: