Monday, February 11, 2019

Snow Birds

 The title isn't actually accurate. A snowbird is a person who travels from the north to the south and back with the seasons. However, we did drive in snow and we did see many birds. So, there you are! After Jon's birthday snow, I wanted to go out driving. I prefer to do this with someone as I can get lost on a straight line and there are a LOT of straight line roads in this area. Jon decided one day last week would be perfect, it was sunny and bright and off we went. We ended up on a different road due to others who were out, too. Jon and I prefer anonymity!
The 'city' of Athena from across the fields. We did see a hawk in winter colors just prior to this, but it flew way too fast. Gorgeous creature! 
 Red Wing Blackbirds!!


 Jon took almost all of these pictures. I took the one below. A single shot where I hoped I'd get what I thought I saw. It worked!!! It looks like calligraphy at the base of the 'flower'.

 I asked Jon to take this one. His side of the rig had a better view. Sunset in the trees. He tried to capture the quail in the branches, but they were too camouflaged.


 We drove out a bit further, making a loop. Most of the fields were white, others had taller yellow stubble poking through.

 I wanted a photo of these baby mountains. The Blue Mountains. You can see why they are called blue!!!
It was a fun excursion. I'm glad Jon took me out, I hope we go again. Maybe we can find some other birds. With all the snow we've been getting, they are much braver than they normally are. As long as we avoid most of the starlings. I like those birds, but they are rather annoying in number!

No comments: