Saturday, November 03, 2018

The Pit of Despair Part 2

Halloween was cold and clear and I was wondering if I would survive this pit of despair. Every two years the yard is dug up because of septic issues. You can sort of see in this first photo the new pipe and the connection Mr. Stock wanted to make the night before. However, when the original pipe was removed, sewage gushed out in a torrent. Probably meaning the leach system wasn't working properly. Although, he and his helper did discover the tank was listing towards the house. So, the next day I called Peninsula Pumping. (you know things are odd when a sewage pumping company is in your favorites called list!) 

The young man (he's a bit younger than Tony and has 3 kids!) remembered the house and said he couldn't do what Mr. Stock wanted. There were two pipes. One for mostly liquids and one for the other stuff. Both needed pumped so the tank could be lifted. Hoping to solve the problems for now. 

Since Jordan (P.P.) isn't allowed to get into pits of despair due to company policies, Mr. Stock did. (he did say this was a first for him)


Jordan did do the other one, though. 

After Jordan left, Mr. Stock proceeded to remove a couple of trees. He felt they were too close to the tank for him to lift it properly. I was incredibly sad. They were lovely trees and I'd planted lilies of the valley under one of them. 


He was careful to 'shake' off as much dirt as possible. Dirt is important when it comes to filling pits! 

I had to leave the next day, so didn't get to see them lift and level the tank. I was hoping to watch. Mr. Stock sent me a photo. You can see how the pipes are even now. 

 When I returned, it was all buried neatly once more.
 It was fun to watch the backhoe move the dirt around the smaller pit. It reminded me of how we imagine dinosaurs might act in a nest. I took several photos and running thru them quickly shows it better!

In the morning light, the pit was gone and all that needed done were a few little things. Moving dirt  to smooth the area and what not. The rigs will leave again on Monday. 

After Mr. Stock left, I proceeded to chip out of the icy ground places to kind of bury the tires again. (I think I chipped my new glasses, too....) I tried to keep them as even as Mr. Stock had set them, but well..I'm not very good at eyeballing even!!! When I was done with that, I scattered a bunch of seed packets. I know the earth is frozen and the seeds probably won't grow, but a few might. Besides, the ones I planted during summer won't, so I figured why not??? Most were aged seeds anyway! I also dumped out a couple of flower pots I'd saved back and added some lupine seeds, fireweed, and columbine. Mr. Stock had earlier suggested grass. I just looked at him. Flowers are 100% better!!! Especially since he dug all the ones I planted last year up! 

So, this pit is done. I need to see if the leach field is compromised, but it can wait til spring. I'm also a tad nervous about the section of pipe from the house to the end of the hole where he connected the new pipe. It had water flowing thru, but are the pipes actually completely clear? Should  I call Roto Rooter for the third time since mom died to see if anything is in the way????  Actually, I called them several times. Bob, who used to own the company, put the new system in July of '16. Since he died, I was curious if he'd left records. He hadn't. Mr. Stock had to work out what to do on his own. He's pretty sure it will be good for quite a while. Except maybe that leach field......As I mentioned earlier, I give it two years. 

No comments: