Saturday, May 21, 2016

Simple Snacks from a Biscuit Mix

I mentioned this one in FB. Super salty and super easy. They are called (I believe) Roll Ups or Spam Pinwheels. It is a recipe from around the 70's or so. 
  They were fairly simple to create. You need 1 can of spam, minced (next time I will use the low sodium stuff); 2 1/4 cups Bisquick (or other biscuit mix); 2/3 a cup of milk; and about 3/4 cup of shredded cheese. Combine the Bisquick and milk to make a soft dough. Roll out into a large rectangle. Spread minced spam and cheese on dough and roll long way into a jelly roll. Cut about 3/4 of an inch thick and place on parchment paper or lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 min. (many people also place them on the sheet, seam side down-I liked them this way, too)

  Then, there was this other recipe I found. It is even easier and uses sausage. I think making it with pork sausage instead of deer might make it stickier. I'll try that next time, but I had the deer sausage thawed out already.
  The second one is known as 'Sausage Balls' and has 3 ingredients. 1 pound ground pork sausage, 2 cups of biscuit baking mix, 1 pound shredded cheese. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sausage, flour mix, and cheese in a gallon sized plastic bag. Mix thoroughly. Form into small balls and place on parchment paper. Bake for 20-25 minutes.



They would make a good bite sized appetizer. My half recipe made 24 balls about the size of my cookie scoop.

No comments: