Sunday, May 27, 2012

Graduation Cuppy Cakes-

 I volunteered to make cupcakes for the SRs for their graduation party. I knew I could do better than a couple of dozen cakes frosted in a design. So, there you go. I decided that with 30 some odd graduates and several chaperons, I needed at least 2 cakes per person. Thus, I determined 3 cake mixes and 72 cuppy cakes. I researched sites and found using miniature resees cups was the most common for the hat base and several things were used for the mortar board. However, when I saw 'use chocolate covered graham crackers', I knew I had the perfect idea! Unfortunately, it wasn't. It appears that the top of the hat needed to be smaller for the size of the miniature cup. So, since I had all the crackers, I opted to make the bases out of miniature brownies baked in my mini muffin pan. Next time, I will just cut to the chase and use the chocolate squares suggested! I had to shave many of the muffins and cupcakes flat on their top, but it all worked. The cupcakes with the white dots are ones that have filling and they are all sitting in the bottoms of Safeway pizza boxes. (which are excellent for carting around cupcakes!)
Once the little hats were made, we let them dry a bit before sticking them atop the cupcakes. It took a while! One of the hardest parts were the tassels. They are made from fruit rollups. However, it did not say on the box that the roll ups were laid out in a design. I was so annoyed! The shapes made it hard to cut and roll the tassels.

 After affixing all the tops onto the cuppy cakes, we added the tassels and buttons. I chose not to use buttons (m&ms) in school colors only because they are so many colors in a bag of m&ms!
 Mom brought the holders, I was going to just use basic pastel colors. But, these are ever so much more fun. On the edges they have hats and diplomas and on the bottom they say 'congrats grad'. Much more festive than pastels!
 When all were done and made, I had a few 'hats' left over. So, I put them aside for Jonathan. He thinks we'll be getting many of these back cuz I made too many. I am not so sure, but we'll see! If we do, we'll just fix the tipped over ones and have them for Jon's party on Sunday!
There you are-graduation cupcakes. I've now joined the bloggers who make these! (I'm so very avant-gaurde!)

2 comments:

ConsciousGardener said...

That's a lot of work! I hope you had fun...congrats!

Brenda Varner said...

And with all the time/effort you put in, they are VERY cute!!! I hope the kids (and chaperones) appreciated them.