Saturday, October 03, 2009

It is finally fall...

OK, I am not totally thrilled fall is here. It has been rather chilly out and last week we had to turn on the heater for the first time since well...we turned it off! I did get my blanket done in time, though. Very glad.

I learned a lot from this project. 1. Buy fabric from a fabric store. I like the patterns and the print, however...it was NOT printed on the fabric straight. 2. Just because a fabric has lines does not mean they always end up the same direction when you cut. 3. If you go back to a project after a bit of a spell...measure everything again! I had to rip out the first seam of the thing when I realised the printed material was off. I had not noticed it on the bed, but did when it was on the floor. 4. When making a blanket, use the old one for a reference. I made this one about 6 inches short on each side. 5. Serging over a serge is not as easy as it sounds. 6. And you CAN serge and sew on the same project!!! So, there you have it. Our 'new' polar fleece blanket and if mum can send me about 2 more yards of mid weight dark brown fleece, I can make it right!

It is a cool cats print and the 'edges' are of a plaid that is within the print. I backed it with my very favorite old flannel sheep sheet. (Just on the printed part)


This is a project Jon made for Biology. It is a plant cell made in 3D from wood. He cut it all out and then painted it and labeled it (I helped with that, he need more hands to glue and hold the strings tight while they dried a bit! I held the glue and the blow drier...)
Best news ever: Tony is back from Romania!!! He is in Vilseck and we'll see what happens next.
Am reading EM Forester's book Howard's End..very long and very funny and very thoughtful!

No comments: